Rain could cause more flooding on the Blanchard this week | Environment
FINDLAY, OH (The Courier) - The Blanchard River's latest bout of flooding was drawing to a close Sunday night, but the National Weather Service reported that a rain-filled week could lead to more water woes.
The receding Blanchard River was barely above the 23-foot flood stage at Ottawa on Sunday night. At 10:30 p.m., the level was 23.62 feet, according to the National Weather Service.
The river was expected to fall below flood stage overnight. The Blanchard crested at Ottawa at 27.31 feet, which is considered moderate flooding there, about 11 a.m. Saturday.
U.S. 224 west of Ottawa reopened Sunday night as floodwater receded. Earlier Sunday, the Putnam County Sheriff's Office reopened the intersection of U.S. 224 and Ohio 65 in the village.
High water remained on numerous smaller roads Sunday night, and the National Weather Service flood warning for Putnam County continued.
Motorists in Putnam County were being urged to not drive through high water and to not go around road-closed barricades.
Putnam County deputies had to retrieve a Continental man's vehicle from floodwater after he ignored a high water sign and drove on flooded road I23, east of Putnam County 24 near the Auglaize River. Nikolas E. Louiselle, 23, was able to get out of the vehicle on his own, but the vehicle was mostly submerged in water. Louiselle was not injured.
In Findlay, the Blanchard River fell below flood stage on Saturday night, after cresting at major flood stage on Friday.
The river crested at 14.1 feet on Friday after heavy rains on Wednesday and Thursday. Floodwater entered several homes in Findlay and Hancock County. Free cleanup kits are available by calling the Red Cross at 419-422-9322.
The river in Findlay had dropped all the way down to 4.45 feet by 10 p.m. Sunday.
Findlay police reported Sunday that all city streets closed by high water had been reopened.
But more flooding could be on the horizon.
The National Weather Service has issued a hazardous weather outlook for the region, and said there is a chance of thunderstorms every day this week.
While there is only a 20 percent chance of rain today, there is an 80 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms tonight, 80 percent chance Tuesday, 60 percent Wednesday and 80 percent Thursday, before falling to a 30 percent chance of rain Friday.
According to the weather service, some of the storms could produce heavy rain, which could lead to flooding.
"The prolonged nature of the rain will likely lead to areas of flooding as the week progresses," the weather service said Sunday.
Copyright 2013 The Findlay Courier. For more from the Courier, visit http://www.thecourier.com.